When I was in school, my English teachers made us keep a journal. It was a composition book that we had to write in at the start of every class. She would give us a topic and 10 minutes to think about it and write. We usually had to write at least one page. It was my favorite part of English because it was the most creative thing we really got to do.
At the end of the year the journal would be returned to us. Most kids just threw theirs in the classroom trash, but I took mine home. And I still have them. I love to scan the pages from time to time. It's interesting to see how I saw the world when I was younger. Almost everything was certainly more simple then. Of course, there were times when I made things more weird and complex than they really had to be. Of course, the real problem I had with journal topics was that once I found a good one, I couldn't stop writing. The teacher's timer would ding and I'd have to stop in the middle of a sentence.
The point I'm trying to make is that I can still look into those old books and find new ideas in the old ones that I started. As I get older, I see those same journal topics differently. Even if I never get to write the story those journal entries inspired, the ideas are there. So, I thought it would be fun to give you a journal topic. I'd love to see what you write, but you don't have to share it. I always found those journal topics fun. Choose one or both of the topics and see what you come up with.
Topic 1:
What would you do if a time traveler broke down in front of your house? They can be from the future or the past.
Topic 2:
If you were a muppet, what would you be and why?
No comments:
Post a Comment