Writing descriptions can actually be a tricky thing. Finding the balance between too much exposition and too little isn't easy. I can't really say there are no tricks to it. When I originally write a scene, I try to describe it exactly as I see it in my head. I want it to be as clear for the reader as it is for me. This usually causes me to end up with a full page or two just to set the scenery. This can be a bad thing if the scene is something that almost anyone can relate to, such as a church or a school or a grocery store. However, if you're like me and often creating a world from scratch, thoroughly drawing the reader in is essential.
One thing you want to do is use metaphors and similes, but you have to find ways to use them sparringly. Also, you want to avoid the standard cliches that everyone is familiar with. While everybody will know what you're talking about, you may get a few readers who will roll their eyes and think "here we go again". Having people thinking your story is going to be something typical and cookie-cutter is not what you want. Coming up with a unique or unusual metaphor can take hours and sometimes days, but often, it is well worth the extra effort. I often write down unique or new metaphors that I come across when reading because I love it when I find something refreshing.
You don't want to over analyze a scene though. Don't add in descriptions that seem unnatural or break the flow of the dialogue or the character's action. Try to explain the placement of important people and objects beforehand. This way, it will be easier to reference these items later as the characters continue to talk or act. Try not to dump information in at random. If you're worried that your readers will be confused, try to make sure you are clear about these things at the beginning of the scene, or weave the information in as the story progresses. It's okay for the reader not to know everything from the start. A story is like life. Secrets and wisdom are revealed as we go along.
I'd love to be able to tell you some sure fire formula for handling descriptions, but there just isn't one. It really all depends on what you want to say and what type of story you are creating. It never hurts to do a little research, especially if your setting is more realistic or historical. Then again, if your story is pure fiction, just run with it. If it's a world of your own creation, then there is no way you can be wrong. Right?
No comments:
Post a Comment