Guild Master banner

Guild Master banner

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

What Inspires You

Sometimes, modern technology helps you recall things you forgot. While searching Netflix for something to fill the silence in my house, I came across the old show 'Murder She Wrote', starring Angela Lansbury. I loved this show as a child and I still do.

There were few shows that my mother would allow us to stay up late for. One of which was 'Star Trek: The Next Generation'. The other was 'Murder She Wrote.' There were also the few times that there would be a made for TV mini-series, but usually, bed time was non-negotiable.

Getting to stay up for an extra hour was awesome. I got to lay across the foot of my parent's bed and watch a woman solve crimes. Now, one of the things that made this show cool was that a woman was getting all the glory for using her brain. The other was that she wasn't a cop or a private detective. She was a mystery writer.

If I had to give credit to any one thing that made me want to be a writer, it would have to be this show. I just recall thinking how cool it was that a woman could become a best selling author and I wanted to be just like Jessica Fletcher (Angela's character on the show). She was a famous author, but managed to stay humble, despite all the fame her success as an author had brought her.

At the time, I was always making up my own stories and telling them to my mother or my siblings because I just thought they were so interesting. And I will never forget that one night, as we watched Jessica solve another who dunnit, my mother put the idea into my head that one day, I could be like Jessica Fletcher. I had stars in my eyes as my mother explained that all the story books I read had all started inside someone's head, just like all the stories I made up.

From that moment on, the only thing I ever wanted to do was write.

No comments:

Post a Comment