Guild Master banner

Guild Master banner

Sunday, May 15, 2016

Genre Anyone?

Writers are creatures of habit. We order the same thing almost every time we go to dinner, watch the same types of movies, even go to similar places when we go on vacation. And as much as we live this way, we write this way as well. Of course, there are exceptions to every rule, but most of the time, we write what we like to read.

Exploring new genres is our duty as writers. It's also fun. Even if you can't publish what you create, you should allow yourself the experience of venturing outside your comfort zone.

Personally, I find it thrilling to come up with new ideas and see where they take me. Fantasy, Sci-fi and contemporary fiction are all things that I have played around with and discovered I can do. Of course, there are just some things that I enjoy reading that I have learned that I should leave to the experts (like mysteries). I love a good crime novel, but I have learned that I should leave the mysteries to the professionals.

Reading outside your comfort zone is a great way to try out a genre to see if its something you really want to dabble in. With a little practice, you might craft something great. There are things I still haven't tried, such as writing paranormal, romance or erotica yet, but I have read a few things that make me think I could have fun with those.

Even if it isn't something that you want to do forever, give a new genre a try. Read it, write it and have fun with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment