I'll be the first to admit that I get tired. I lose my will to be creative after being employee, mother and wife. I make excuses like, "I'll do it tomorrow." Or "I'll write on the weekend." But we all know that tomorrow keeps becoming some distant creature of the future and that weekends are spent running errands or sleeping in.
Many authors will tell you to treat writing like a job and force yourself to work. I have never been a fan of that approach. Writing has always been something that I enjoy. Reading is a pleasure and I don't want to spoil those things by making them as miserable for me as my 9 to 5 by making it a requirement. I also have read many books and I believe you can tell when the writer was trying too hard or forcing themselves to just get it done. Fiction writing is a labor of love. And in the end, I believe there should be more love than labor in the final product.
That being said, fitting writing into your life has to be a priority if you're serious about being an author. And there are ways to mix writing into your daily life without ruining the creative experience. If you ride the train or bus to work,then write during your commute. Write while you sit on the sidelines during your kid's softball or football practice. I used to jot notes during my lunch break. Pack foods that you can eat with one hand like sandwiches or salads.
It is hard to juggle your free time with all the people who want to be apart of it such as kids or coworkers. You don't have to give every day to the craft and you don't have to give every day to the people in your life. Finding balance is the key to all things. The most important thing is to recognize when you're making excuses and then take action to change and be productive.
No comments:
Post a Comment